Saturday, September 22, 2007

22 September

Made it to Calgary today after spending the night in Golden.

The first half of yesterday was fine and dry out to Kamloops, but then it started raining and didn't let up till I stopped riding in Golden. My feet and hands were soaked and my lower half was damp (doesn't seem to matter how much you pay for gear, when its raining and windy for six hours, you get wet). Anyway, I decided I was uncomfortable enough to get a room rather than camp and I got a good nights sleep so I think spending the money was worth it.
Today, riding to Calgary was cold but bearable. My boots and gloves were still soaked and while it wasn't raining at all, it was cold and overcast, so the wind really sucked the heat away. It was well worth installing the heated hand grips on the bike. I've had them switched on and set to high for the whole way since Kamloops.