Monday, January 14, 2008

Storming the Castle





















Just for something to do, Teryk and I decided to go see one of the local tourist attractions - The big old Fort that stands outside the old town. So we strolled over there mid morning and found that it didn´t really look interesting enough for us to pay the entry fee (even though it cost only a few dollars). So then we decided to stroll around the outside of the fort and see what we could see without being in amongst the throng of tourists.

We wandered around and speculated on why this feature was here and that feature was there etc. When we got to the far side of the structure there was absolutely no one around and there was an easy path up onto some of the lower walls of the fort. So, we wandered up and looked around and decided that the walls didn't seem that impregnable. The walls are steeply sloped but quite textured and we figured there was a line of weakness that could quite easily be climbed. So we figured we´d give it a go and see if we were right - We were right!
We clambered up the wall and then wandered casually past a couple of the local security people (with quaking hearts) and in to the throng of tourists. It was not our original plan to avoid paying the entry fee but it turned out to add an extra dimension to our tour of the fort. Then we strolled around inside with the rest of the tourists for a while to see what there was to see.
It wasn't that interesting inside but they did have a very nice, very large Colombian flag that was fun to take pictures of and they also had an old canon half buried, muzzle down in the dirt. - I liked this idea and I think it is an appropriate treatment for all canons! :)


On another note, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all my readers for the terrible quality of my spelling in all my blog posts. Ive always been bad at spelling and am these days unashamed about it. However, it has come to my attention that there are a couple of regular readers for whom English is not a first language and my spelling as well as my writing style must make it difficult to read at times. - hello to Marie´s mum :)
Sorry about that, I´ll try to do more corrections, but I´m a bit stuck in my ways these days :)