Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Cautionary Tail

This posting is brought to you by Grant's butt!

Yes, I think its time I said my piece...
Now Grant has been gallivanting around on his motorbike for about three years now, and he has clearly been having a wonderful time going places and seeing things and meeting people etc. Hes clearly also been spending lots of time on introspection and has written about all his marvellous little "insights" etc...

But I have to say that for all his inner searchings he seems to have completely overlooked me!
Now, Ive never been particularly large or demanded much of his attention Ill admit, but I would have thought that that would make him pay all the more attention when I did speak up... But No, It seems he has been completely ignoring me for pretty much all of his motorbike touring...

Cos, Ive been complaining quite loudly, and almost continually since he started riding!

You see, I have very little padding at the best of times, and motorbike touring involves a great many hours sitting on the motorbike. Now, initially its not too bad of course, but after a week or so it starts to get to you, and after about three months the pain becomes positively diabolical!
You see, what happens is that with all the sitting down and not much walking around, combined with tropical climates (eating less, and the body seems to naturally lose weight), I have atrophied away quite a bit... And that means that there is even less padding and the seat is even more uncomfortable!

Now every three months or so its true, Grant did stop for a while in some place or other for a week or two... But that was just enough to start recovering rather than fully recover... But, then he'd ride on again for another month or so and do it again.
Then there were several larger breaks of several months too. But in the end these were just taunting me... It all seemed like some elaborate torture... No sooner would I think that the riding was over than it would start yet again!!
And it just went on and on, and on... For three years!!

But, It seems that its over now... At least for a while anyway.

It seems that there is nothing I can do about Grants motorbike riding habits, despite my complainings... But, let this be a warning to any others out there considering long "adventure tours"...

Do your butt a favour and invest in a REALLY comfortable seat upgrade for your bike BEFORE you set off!

... and now, I guess Ill "Butt Out" and leave you all alone again :))