Friday, August 10, 2012

Stewart Revisited

So I packed up my gear and I headed North
I wanted to go back to the little town of Stewart and the companion town of Hyder in Alaska. last time I rode North, there were lots salmon and bears and beautiful alpine country to look at, though the weather was not great, so Im gonna go see if the weather gods like me better this year.

Not too surprisingly, the pile of gear I loaded on the bike was virtually the same stuff as if i were going riding for a year, even though im only going for about a week (a bit less clothing is about the only difference)

It was camping all the way since its way too expensive for me to use motels or hotels in north America.

And indeed, after two days of riding North, I found the salmon running in the local stream and the Grizzly bears were therer right on que too... And there were some glimpse of a couple of Wolves in the very early morning 9feeding on the bears' salmon left-overs, though no pictures im afraid  :)





And the tourists and their cammeras were "running" too!



But it wasnt just the bears... The whole area has some absolutely wonderfull scenery






So, on day two there, I went for a ride along a dirt road (used by mining operations in the area to access the
mountains).

The big Salmon glacier that the dirt road (50Km ride each way) climed up along side.



My motorbike is in this pic for scale!











There were lots and lots of helicopter operations running in the area - at least 6 different groups using choppers that I saw... The country is so rugged its really the only way to move around with any speed... And the mining companies want speed... the price of gold and silver and copper on the world markets is whats driving this "glut" of mining activity in the area at the moment.




But I was mostly interested in the scenery :)

 















And then back for another look at the bears
















 The smallest church Ive seen (on the roadside on the way south)... its only about 3m x 3m on the inside.


And then, after a couple of days, I rode all the way back to Vancouver and got ready to start my next contract.... so much for summer holidays :))