Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Finaly Ready for a Banquet

Its been all of three years in the making, but that dining room table that I have been working on (very occasionally) is finally completed :)

I bought the big slab of wood for the top about three years ago and it waited through a winter before I did anything with it. Then last year, I managed to level that slab of wood off and sand it smooth and cut it to size, and even to give it a mirror like epoxy coating before I brought it inside at the end of summer just as the rains started. And I also managed to buy the timber I would use to make the legs for the table, but, like the table top the year before, the leg wood had to wait in storage for a year before I could get to working on it.
This year, summer came late and Ive not really had much time to work on it but over the last few weeks I got the wood out and after looking at my decidedly old sketches, I set about cutting and sanding and then varnishing the legs... Actually, the hard part of the project was to locate a couple of large 1" diameter bolts to hold the pairs of legs together... It was hard to find the bolts that I liked because I particularly wanted "square headed" bolts to go with the rest of the table and chairs looks. But I eventually got those from a local bolt manufacturing company... They forge bolts upto 3" in diameter (and thats a big bolt I can tell you!).

Anyway, just this last weekend I managed to bolt the whole thing together:



And Im happy to say that over-all Im very pleased with the result indeed!

... and now all I need is an excuse for that proverbial "Banquet"  :))
Given this result, I may even make some more furniture for my house... though Id hardly call it the "cheap" option! :)