Friday, February 21, 2014

Jewellery Box

Another project that I have had around the place for a couple of years is a jewellery box.
Its made out of a left-over piece of the wood slab that I used to make my dining table... Its very nice "figured bubbinga" (an relatively common African hardwood).
I had about 60cm of wood cut off the end of the slab where it got too narrow to use as a table. I was initially planning to make it into a bedside table but for some reason or other I decided to make a little jewellery box... At that point I cut up the remaining slab into chunks for the top and sides, but then the wood just sat around in my spare room for a year or two before I had another go at it.

Anyway, I got going on it again this winter and it is now Done!

Its about 50cm wide and 20cm high and deep.
I lined the shelves with black velvet which looks quite nice.
The wood its self should become a rick red brown with time. Its just been sanded and finished so the color is not that strong yet. The table I made from the same wood has darkened nicely (the box is sitting on the table in the pictures).





The only thing the little box is lacking now is of course some jewellery... hmmm there may have been a flaw in my planning there :))