Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Types of Expats

I´ve been looking at the lifestyles of expats as I´ve been traveling South with a view to trying to figure out how I would live in the area if I chose to move.
Thus far, there seem to be three main types of expats:

The first is the retired type, and they can be from about 40 to 70 years old. They are almost universally "non-participants" in the local community in that they are just interested in relaxing. They can be found on any evening in the local bars. They tend to hang out together and their conversation usually focuses on reminiscing about their old lives and how they are so clever to have stepped away from it and moved down here. The other most common discussion focuses on how incompetent or stupid or unpleasant the locals are and how to get it done right. Their plan for the future is generally to lay in the sun or go fishing. They are not bad people and many of them have earned their break the hard way but for my part I don't want to sit around and live in the past, Id much rather have a direction for the future.

Another type of expat seems to be the early drop-out variety. These are mid 20s to mid 30s and for the most part they seem to be tourists that lost their way. They tend to be living very cheap and unkempt lives and trying to get by by making jewellery to sell to tourists and living "gypsy" life styles. There is no doubt that most of them are spending large amounts of their time relaxing with the aid of the easily available cheap "weed" which probably accounts for their limited interest in the future. The ones I have spoken to are nice enough people but have no plans for the future beyond a month or two... and I don´t think this actually works since I don´t see any of these lifestyles being lived by older folk. I´m guessing they mostly end up going home and reassimilating into their homeland cultures. I'm not in this category and I find nothing very attractive about it (ultimately neither do most of them as far as I can tell)

The last major type of expat is the type trying to make a business off the tourists. They are of course located in the tourist areas and were themselves once tourists (much as I am now). They have found that they really liked the place and decided to try to stay. They have definite plans for the future and are at least participating in the local communities. They however generally have only two types of business - restaurants or bars, and they really are just importing their culture from the place they left and are focussed on dealing with expats rather than the locals (grow the business and acquire wealth/power/comforts - normal people really). Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn´t but I doubt it is the path for me.

The rarest type of expat and the most admirable as far as I´m concerned are the type that have integrated into the communities and are making a living like the locals as a normal business for the locals (mechanic, plumber, electrician etc). They adapt to many of the local challenges and have the relaxed attitudes too. They have retained many of their homeland values but they don't try to force this on the local community and they don't spend their time denouncing the local people or looking back at their past lives. I have only met two or three of these types of people in my travels so far but it looks like the way to go if you are going to try it. Not sure how this could fit into my world but it is something for me to think about :)