Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Twenty Eight Hours in Honduras
























Well, I blew through Honduras at a high rate of Knots and was there for only about twenty eight hours (I am not proud of this!).
Again, all I saw was the main highway route with just a couple of deviations from the track I took going South. I thought it might take me a bit longer but it turned out to be less distance than I remembered. I made such good time that I decided to take a break before crossing into Guatemala and to visit the Mayan ruins of Copan. It has been a couple of months since I last checked out these sort of ruins and my tolerance was back up a bit.
I was pleasantly surprised by the minimal amount of walking required this time. The site is very near the road and is well maintained too. The thing about these ruins is the quality of the stelate (big standing stones covered in carvings to commemorate significant events). To be sure, they were more impressive than the other sites I have visited, but what made the stop worthwhile for me was the presence of several big red macaws that were completely free but seemed to be somewhat tame too. This meant that I could get really close to them and have a good look and take a few pictures. There was also a small dog sized mammal that I think was one of the rodent family. It was an unusual looking critter but again it seemed quite habituated to people and I could get quite close.
Anyway, after I did that, I hopped back on the bike and drove down the road to the boarder and spent the next half hour crossing into Guatemala.

So, now I am back in Guatemala for another break :)