Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am a River to my People!

... Though the river is small...
... And my people are few...
... and scattered...

I always liked that title line from the film "Lawrence of Arabia".


I decided that I should disabuse myself of any delusions as to how many (or few) people actually read my Blog.
So, I consulted my good friend Janine (who knows about these things from her own web site stuff - she also suggested using the blogger site... and doing a blog in the first place for that matter!) about how to do this and was duly directed to a web site that basically does it for you and for free too :)
I clicked through the options and then followed the instructions to add it to my site, and voila! We have a hit counter that seems to work.

And what does it tell me...

Well, it tells me that I have somewhere between ten and twenty regular visitors (after a week of operation) and most of the visiting is on the weekend. - No big surprises there.

Thats actually more than I had expected which is I guess a good thing, though knowing the readership (which prior to this I did not) doesnt really change how I feel about writing in the blog.

I started doing it as a bit of a trip log and a place to safely save some pictures while I was on my motorbike trip. It developed from there into a place for me to write down some of my thinking, and over time I have found this aspect to be by far the more valuable one for me. And it remains that - a valuable personal "thinking" space.

What is it for you? I dont really know... but it doesnt really matter, If you get something out of my ramblings then thats great, and Im happy to share myself :)


I figure my readership includes a few people from other cities and countries but for the most part you are my friends who live in Vancouver. That said, most of you already have my email and can contact me whenever you feel like it. But I think there are couple of you out there who dont have my contact details.

So, given that Im not opening myself up to large amounts of unwanted "backchat", for those few who dont already have it, my email is "grant_else" and I'm on the "@hotmail.com" service.

For you all:
You can write to me and comment on the blog at any time you feel like it :)
I do however, reserve the right to simply ignore you or to respond at my discretion - as I said, my blog remains primarily for my own purposes.


... and may the river keep flowing :)