Sunday, November 9, 2008

On Fire
































For the last few weeks here in Vancouver, the weather has been really swinging toward winter. We are now solidly in the rainy season and there is snow on the local mountain tops. When the weather is cloudy (most of the time) the temperatures are around 10-12 degC in the day and 6-7 degC over night. When the skies are clear, its more like 3-4 degC overnight and in the teens if you are in the sun.

I was really enjoying riding around the place on my motorbike with all the fall colours on the trees. I found it very peaceful :)

Ive also been clearing out my garage of accumulated off-cuts of wood. Ive been sawing them up into smaller pieces and burning them off on my BBQ. My friend I-Fan is a bit of a Pyromaniac it seems and I barely got to play with the fire at all... Once she had the tongs it was impossible to get them back :)

I didnt burn all of the wood though. I decided I needed a guitar stand and I figured Id make one myself out of some of the wood. I wanted it to fit inside the guitar case with the guitar for easy transport. I turns out that this is quite a constraint since there is not that much spare space in the case. It took me a little while but I came up with a design that seems very functional and effective; Is attractive to my eye; And has no hinges or pins or clasps.
Its just four pieces of ply wood that slip together and it holds its shape by virtue of the flexed pieces of wood :)

Its good enough for public consumption in my opinion, so I plan to make one for my friend Marie in Guatemala too if she ever manages to send me the dimensions of her guitar....