Friday, February 20, 2009

Local Fauna

An aspect of living here that I dont think Ive mentioned much about is the local wildlife....Not so much the big stuff you see on the roads and in the streets but rather the smaller and "very local" critters that you find in your room!
My room is quite nice and is in what would easily be classified as a regular back yard of a home even in Vancouver....grass, flower beds and fruit trees.
The room is clean and neat and dry and has good quality doors and windows. Its made of concrete block and stucco and there are no places for critters to hide or things for them to eat.
However, it is the tropics here and there are plenty of critters out and about in the night, and since my room is on the ground floor in a garden, and there are no screens on the windows, things get in!
So far Ive had to remove one gecko from the room, about a half a dozen small to medium sized scorpions (4cm - 8cm) and many brown beetles. There are also the usual supply of flies and some mosquitoes (though not the malarial kind up here in the mountains) but they generally let themselves in and out and I dont have to do any work :)
The best solution for the flying critters is to not leave the light on at night since it attracts them. This seems to work very well. However, the crawly types are more of a problem since they dont seek the light and they like to wriggle through very small cracks. The scorpions are the biggest challenge and despite checking the walls and floor every time I come into the room, I managed to get stung by a little one in the middle of the night in my bed!!
This is one of the aspects of a Hotel here that I would change and bring up to "developed world" standards.... I´d reduce the wildlife count in the rooms (sealing doors and screens on all widows should do it)!

I think this would also really cut down on my costs of running a hotel.... Id not have to invest nearly as much capital in livestock!... less money "on the hoof" so to speak. Im sure supplying all those critters for the rooms and the garden must cost a fortune, so if the place I get only has potted plants on the decks and no garden; and if I dont want the critters in the rooms... well its bound to save me a fortune!

So thats my plan then.... no livestock :))))))))