Monday, March 23, 2009

Paying the Rent

It doesnt really matter where you are born or what you do or who you are; In one way and another, we pretty much all have to "pay the rent" on this life in some form or other.

Which is to say, that just about all of us have to spend a good deal of our time doing the same old thing day in and day out. For most of us it is earning a living weather that be working in an office or breaking rocks on the side of the road (I see a lot of that down here).

That daily toil feels like a burden to most of us and I know that for a great deal of time in my past, I have felt that Id much rather have been somewhere other than the office. Ive changed where I have worked a few times in my life, Ive changed countries where I live a few times and homes ...many times. But its the same where ever you go.
At the moment I spend a good deal of my time sitting in a chair outside a little shop waiting for someone to come along to rent a motorbike to... Its a far cry from working as an Engineer in the HiTech industry!... but at some level, essentially, its the same thing.

And you know what?, Im starting to get a bit of a different perspective on it.
I think that in a lot of ways, it lets me appreciate the time when I dont have to do it... it acts like a reference point. And I dont think Id look at things the same way if I didnt have to work.

Now, thats not to say that I think the way I have spent the past twenty years of working in cubicle farms for deluded management was the best choice. In fact I am pretty sure that the Western Capitalist world has got the "wrong end of the stick" as far as work/life priorities are concerned and that there is plenty of room for improvement in our social model.
But I do think that if "living was free" then we would not appreciate what a gift life can be.... we´d just take it all for granted.... which of course most of us already do anyway....

I guess I just think human nature is to not value something unless it has a price...

...so I´ll go back to "the grind" and sit here under my umbrella in the sun....with a drink... and wait for the next person to come along and want to rent a motorbike :))

... Paying the Rent