Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cape - Cairo Trip Statistics

I decided to do the trip statistics while I wait around here in Israel for their public holidays to finish.
So I entered all the distances and fuel stop details into excel and this is what I came out with...

1) The trip was right on 30,000Km (Though its only about 20,000Km if you take the direct rote from Cape Town to Cairo)

2) I used about 1600 litres of fuel which cost me about US$2500 (averaging about $1.40 per litre which is about the same as in Canada). There were 96 stops for fuel.

3) The fuel efficiency over the whole trip was therefore about 19.5Km per litre which is pretty dam good in my opinion, especially given that the bike is carburetored and 12 years old as well as carrying a very heavy load...(though the carbs were newly reconditioned and tuned when I started the trip).
The worst efficiency I got was during my crossing from Kenya to Ethiopia and was down at 16Km per litre due to all the 1st and 2nd gear riding in very bad off-road conditions. The best efficiency I got was 24.6Km per litre with a hefty tail wind one day in Tanzania.

4) It took me about 135 days to get from Cape Town to Israel, but there were about 4 weeks of wasted time in there while I waited for visas, and another 2 weeks at the start to set up the bike, and another 2-3 weeks waiting around in Israel to get the bike shipped etc... So, The riding was about 100days of the 200 day trip... That's about an average of 300Km per day, which is more or less what I expected it would be :)

5) Other bike maintenance details are: I used 2x chains and 1x set of front and rear sprockets, 2x rear tires, 1.5x front tires, 3x oil changes and oil filters, 1x clutch cable, and 0.5x sets of brake pads. The bike is still running well but as it now has over 100,000Km on the clock, I feel its ready for a top-end engine rebuild with new cam-chains and tensioners and new piston rings.

6) I had I think about 4 flat tires on the trip but none of them were sudden or catastrophic (thank heavens)... And I had to repair two of them multiple times... The first one because of carelessness on my part for not checking the tire carefully enough for the cause of the puncture. the other was because the inner tube had simply run out of life and kept springing new leaks without any external cause :)

7) On the personal equipment front its been a pretty tough trip with all the hot weather and sweaty riding... Its really hard conditions for fabrics with lots of salt and abrasion and lots of hand washing and wringing as well... Ive worn out about 4x T-shirts, 4x sets underwear, and 3x pairs of socks. But Ive also managed to lose, misplace, or leave behind 3x hats, 1x shorts, 1x sweater, and 1x socks... nothing that cant be replaced along the way though :)