Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fast and Slow

Well, I'm down to the last week of the meditation course now.
It was getting really quite slow and tedious for the last month I must admit. It didn't help much that there were a couple of Hurricanes in the area and it rained for pretty much two weeks straight. The place where I'm staying is quite "rustic" and it is lovely in fine weather to be sure. However, when the rain sets in, it all turns to mud, and the facilities here are somewhat less than Western standard!... The kitchen, showers, and bathroom all turned into a dripping wet festering pit of bacteria! - not at all pleasant.
Anyway, the rain seems to have passed now and we just get it in the afternoon or overnight which is normal for the season. The mornings are usually very nice and sunny.

To help add a little interest to my life, I decided to "up the anti" for the last week and a half of  "retreat" and am doing a full fast. That means no food at all - just herb teas and water!
I'm on day three now and I'm getting thinner, and its hard work walking up hills, and I kind of walk in a bit of a random manner, and I sort of stand around at corners and such. My mind still works fine but it doesn't hold an idea for too long and processes a little slower :)

Funny thing!
Ive noticed that now I don't seem to find people in my way all the time. I'm not moving faster than everyone else like usual! So Ive been checking behind to see if now I'm the slow one and am obstructing others - Nop!
Hmm, After three days with no food at all I am now moving and behaving like a "normal" person!
That begs the question, "Is this what it feels like for them?" Wow, if so then I really pity them and it goes a long way to explaining why people are the way they seem to be!

... I have to say that I'm glad I'm not like this all the time.

I wonder what Ill feel like after another three days of no food?
If I feel like I'm going to faint or fall over then Ill eat something, but for now its quite interesting and Ill see how far I can go with it.

... and just for kicks, I bought a Snickers bar and a bag of Doritos and left them sitting on my desk in my room - just to make it a challenge :)