Thursday, April 24, 2008

Avocados from Heaven

If you are like me, and have lived all your life in temperate climates, then you have little idea as to what an Avocado plant looks like. I figured it was probably something like a Passion fruit or Kiwifruit vine and grew on trellises.
Not so...
It turns out that an Avocado tree is a good sized tree. In a similar vein, I was a bit surprised to find that Mangoes grew on trees too. The Avocado tree however is quite a bit bigger again. They can be 20m tall (that's about 60 feet for my antiquated American readers).
They are also pretty much everywhere here in San Marcos. This is generally a good thing since they provide quite a bit of needed shade. The down side is that they have lots of fruit on them at present and the fruit falls off on a random schedule.
This would just be messy if the fruit was fully ripe when it fell, but it comes off before it is ripe, and I have to say that a hard avocado falling from 15m in the air is a thoroughly lethal item!

The random bombardment goes on day and night and everyone just gets used to it. It can be quite the sleep disturber though since many of the building roofs are made of corrugated iron and this makes a very effective "drum" for the falling fruit... There are usually two or three very loud impacts every night.
The real risk though is being hit in person. Ive had a couple of close calls with the impact being within a meter (that's three feet for the late adopters!). I have another two months to go here, so we will see how my luck holds.

If the gods like me then I guess Ill be fine, and if not then I guess Ill get the hint to move on :)