Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Knowledge vs Understanding vs Wisdom

It seems to me that there are various grades to the "quality" of the things that we "know".

On any given idea or set of ideas, there is an obvious starting point of - We don't know anything. - although many people (men in particular) may think they do :)

The next level seems to me to be when we have acquired some level of information (from a person or a book) and this is good. And sure enough, we do now have some "knowledge" on the subject, but its theory and is very limited.

The next stage is harder to get to but readily achieved by most people and involves us spending the time and effort to think the information over and integrate it into our existing knowledge as part of a whole. This can be achieved to a greater or lesser extent depending on how much effort we put into it and how much ability at perceiving cause and effect we have. The result is that we have much greater understanding and can perceive cause and effect and when applied, this understanding is less likely to give us "surprises". This is a pretty good result and is as much as we get out of a great deal of our knowledge, but it is still usually rather narrow in application.
This is a level that I think of as "Understanding".

There is however a deeper level than this and it only comes after we have truly applied the understanding in multiple, diverse real world applications. This exercise invariably provides us with a much deeper perception of cause and effect and the true ramifications of the idea.
This is what I call "Wisdom", and represents a true deep knowledge. This is the real "ownership" of the idea.

A bunch of my recent posts have covered topics that I already clearly "understood" and indeed I can think of plenty of little "common knowledge" phrases that capture the central ideas. The problem is that I have not seen them at a deeper level and have applied them only superficially to my particular problem. Then, later I have found the deeper truth and realized the deeper "Wisdom" that resolves the problem for me.

I'm not sure how to get to this deeper wisdom easily. It seems that practical application and deep thought are essential.
Actually, at a deeper level I have always known that too... Its a major part of the reason that I only put limited value in book learning, and why I generally prefer to work things out myself, practically in my own way. I think book learning is great for certain things and Ive done plenty of it in my time, but there' s nothing like the "school of hard knocks" to let you see the real truth.... Im sure other people would see that differently though! :))

Guess that means I´m in for a bunch more knocks.... hopefully they wont feel quite so hard these days with more "acceptance" in my outlook :)