Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Week in One Day

Today was insanely busy in the motorbike rental world :)

It went like this...

8:00am - I rented the two small bikes to a couple of guys for a half day.
8:30am - I got my stuff together to head over the lake on boat to do some banking.
8:45am - Im about to get on the boat when I get a call from the guys on the bikes ...
One of the bikes wont go into gear ...It was low on clutch and a quick question confirms
that yes, it was while trying to go up a very steep hill ...OK thats what it is...
Solution is to swap out the bike for the bigger one I still have.
9:00am - Im on my bigger bike and headed around the lake to find them...
It takes me about 45min to locate them...They were on a short side road I had never
been down.
10:00am - Im teaching one of them to ride the bigger bike...he seems OK, so I start walking
back to San Pedro to get a pickup to bring the dead bike back.
10:10am - I get a call saying there is someone else wanting to rent my little scooter.
10:15am - I flag down a tooktook and pay to get a ride back to town (20 minutes instead of
an hour or more if I walk)
10:40am - I rent out the little scooter and give them the chat on where they can go etc.
11:00am - I walk up the hill into town and find a guy with a pickup to come get the dead bike.
11:45am - Me and the driver lift the dead bike into his truck and head back to town.
12:30am - I unload the bike and wheel it to the workshop - Though Indy is not in town at the
moment so Ill have to do the repair without help.
1:00pm - Ive taken off the side of the motor and the exhaust and the foot pegs etc.
Ive unbolted all sorts of stuff inside the engine to get the clutch pack off.
(Im pretty organized but Im just hoping I remember how it all goes back together)
1:30pm - The two guys who rented come back and I get paid (for one bike only though since
the other had problems)
1:45pm - I walk over to the local parts dealer and am relieved to find they do have the clutch plates I need.
I buy them and walk back.
2:00pm - I get another call saying there are guys who want to rent the two bikes.
I go over and rent the two bikes out for an hour - give them a chat and take passports.
2:30pm - I get back to the sick bike and start reassembling it.
3:00pm - Another call and the guy on the scooter is back early - avoiding the rain.
I go get paid some more and give him back his passport.
3:15pm - I get back to assembling the sick bike.
3:30pm - Another call and the two bikes are back again, so I go get paid some more and
return more passports :)
3:45pm - Before I can even get back to fixing the sick bike, two more people want to rent the
two working bikes. OK, I give them the chat, take passports and send them on
their way.
4:15pm - I get back to the sick bike and finish the assembly. Then I go for a test ride, and
amazingly, it all seems to work just fine :)))
4:45pm - I do a run over to the gas station with my fuel can to get a fill so I can refill the bikes.
5:00pm - I arrive back as the two bikes come back and get paid some more and return more
passports.
5:15pm - Both the last two groups of people who rented the bikes want to rent all three now
working bikes (not the scooter) for tomorrow morning!
I do a little negotiating and convince one group to go the day after by offering a bit of
a discount - I just want them all to be happy :)
5:45pm - I have a rest and an ice cream and try to figure out what happened!!!

Despite the huge number of people renting, I have made a loss today...but not by much!
The clutch replacement was going to happen soon anyway, but the parts costs were Q450 and the tooktook and pickup were another Q75. The fuel for the day cost Q60 and the commission
to the hotel where I keep the bikes was another Q40. So costs were Q625.
Income was 150+120+120+120 = Q510

But!, The committed rentals for the next two days will bring in about Q940 which pays for the full week of my food and lodgings... So thats great :))))
And besides the finances, I had a really fun day running around and solving new problems... And all the customers were very happy and most of them are coming back for another rental..

Very busy but lotsa fun :)))

A week in a Day!