Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Eaten Alive!

The first night out here is a bit of an"introduction to the jungle" for most tourists since things here are not like you average hotel!

Each of the rooms has its own private bathroom with running water of course (modern tourists really wont settle for less these days), but that not withstanding, things are still quite "rustic" out here :)
There is no electricity except for a single bathroom light in each hut, and a charging socket for cameras and I-Pods at the bar in the common area (powered by a couple of solar panels and batteries).
And the huts have a bit of a "shortage" of walls too! Two of the four walls are full height, but the other two are only waist high and the remainder is a fly-screen mesh... Though they may as well not have bothered with that because there is plenty of openings above the walls and gaps in the floor-boards etc for an entire armada of insects to get through!... Which is exactly what they do of course!
Yes, the rooms become quite a little zoo in the early part of the nights!... There were spiders and cockroaches and ants and of course mosquitoes... Though much more of the former and less of the latter than I was expecting... Ahhh, Good Times! :)))

This guy is about 8-10cm long!

Ohh, and pretty much every bathroom was also blessed with a larger visitor in the form of a big brown tree frog too...Though I got a large brown Gecko instead :)







But the "wildlife" in the rooms was mostly not a problem if you let it be... Each bed, though basic and a bit thin in the mattress department, was fitted with a spacious, very fine mesh insect net hood that, when tucked in around the perimeter of the mattress, kept all of the "visitors" safely outside... Ahh the bliss of being able to sleep with confidence while the small jungle inhabitants outside devour each other rather than the beds occupant :))

... But, therein lies the problem!... You have to make very sure that all those little critters are OUTSIDE before you "tuck in and nod off"!!!
I thought I had been careful when I went to bed that first night but the next morning I had a half dozen very itchy bites!...
So, the next night I was even more careful and again went to sleep feeling "safe"... But again I awoke with even more annoying bites the next morning!...
Now, Id been careful and couldnt figure out what was going on, So I decided to ask the staff about it and they said... "Ahh yes... Its probably ants... Very very small ants!"
... And so it was... The next night when I checked everything Very Very carefully, I found the little blighters! There were only two or three of them, and they were crawling around on the sides of the net... But apparently they find their way down to the mattress and me during the night, and when I roll onto them, they dont like it and they bite!
So, mystery solved, I finally got a reasonable nights sleep... But sadly I was still being constantly irritated by the bites I already had from previous nights!



But its all just part of the Jungle experience.... Mmmm Im just "Loving it" so far! :))