Sunday, July 25, 2010

Route 66

In one of the towns I stopped in out here in the desert, I noticed that the old interstate Route 66 passed through the town.



So, I decided that Id like to ride along that road instead of the modern Route 10 that all the heavy traffic is on. I asked a few questions as to where to get onto it and pretty quickly I found myself riding along in the desert on a very nice little paved highway with the road all to myself :))



And within a few minutes of starting along the road, sure enough, a "Roadrunner" dashed across the road in front of me... I didnt hear the traditional "Beep beep" but I did have my helmet on, so I may just not have heard it :)
After that, I kept my eyes peeled... I was half expecting a Coyote to go shooting past me on the highway mounted on rocket propelled "Acme" roller skates!
But, alas, Coyote didnt put in a showing for me... No doubt he was "temporarily indisposed" by another of those frustrating and "uncomfortable" mishaps that always seem to befall the poor fellow! :)))



But I rode along the old 66 for a few hundred Km. It was a bit sad seeing all the little roadside stops that were abandoned and disintegrating along the way... I guess thats how it goes though... Change comes and old things pass away (good bad or otherwise) and new things come along to replace them.



Eventually, it was dark and the air temperature dropped down below 110degF and I decided Id camp... So, I just pulled off the highway on a flat bit of desert (no fences on this old highway), set up the tent inner on a ground sheet and got some sleep :))