Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Into Tanzania


Again I noticed the change in “affluence” as soon as I crossed the border from Malawi to Tanzania… The road quality remained about the same but the buildings immediately became far more “substantial”… The grass roofs and mud walls were replaced by concrete block buildings and corrugated iron. And the roadside stalls although still plentiful were now backed by a solid line of little shops of a more traditional nature. Im up in the hills here at the North end of the lake so there is a lot more rainfall than the lower areas and there are lots of plantations of Bananas and Tea… I haven’t seen tea plantations like this since Darjeeling J (they seem different to the ones in Argentina?).

 

As I rode along, the heavens opened on me properly and I was glad I had stopped earlier to put on my wet weather gear… It’s the first day of real rain that I have had so I cant really complain… Though my dried out leather boots really soaked the water up quickly and riding with cold soggy feet is never enjoyable.

I rode on carefully in the wet and even after it stopped outright raining, it pays to be very cautious if the roads are at all damp (every time Ive come off the bike on a tour has been on damp roads and every time it could have been avoided if I was going slower!… thankfully there was never any other vehicle involved). Anyway, there is plenty of evidence around that the local long distance truck drivers are not very good at driving with wet roads because there are trucks off the road and on their sides all over the place… I pass one truck down a gully in steep mountain terrain with a 40’ container load of 200 125cc motorcycles disgorged all along the side of the road… waiting for another truck to come get the cargo… the original truck is pretty much a gonner!

 

Then Im down on the plains again and things get a lot warmer and drier… There are woodland forests of Baobab trees and the local crops have changed to onions!... Same system as higher up though… The local farmers display their produce along the sides of the rod in buckets or bags or piles and trucks come buy and buy up the small piles till they have a full load and then take it all off to the cities for distribution or bulk processing.
 



 
I ride on for a couple of days…

I tried stopping in a couple of the small cities along the way in Tanzania so I could go into a couple of the Southern game-parks but there is virtually no local tourism support here and it seems its all organized from either Dar es Salam or larger towns (Moshi and Arusha) in the North… So, I decide to press straight on through to the capital.

As I get nearer the capital, the traffic rapidly gets more congested and more interesting and Im very glad the roads are dry. And once Im in the urban area traffic grinds to a complete standstill and things get VERY creative! (see next post)... I get through it all without incident and then catch a short ferry ride across the mouth of the river the city is built on to what seems to be almost a forgotten little enclave of a beach town… there is camping here and I need to keep my costs down… So, camping on the beach it is J

Now that Im at the coast Im going to leave the bike for a week or so and go see the island of Zanzibar before I go see more game-parks… Im definitely ready for some beach time!