Thursday, November 26, 2009

Slow Grower

After three days of surfing and such at San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua (which by the way, has the absolutely best beginners surf beach I have ever seen!) I decided to move on.
One reason to go was as I mentioned that there was some risk of me "losing the plot" and just not bothering to continue riding South... or North... or anywhere at all really :)
But life seemed to be giving me a push on my way too...

I decided Id stay there a week and I had found a nice private room that I could rent for a week at a good low rate. It was way better than staying in a Dorm room at the Hostel... or so I thought!
The first night I was in the new room things got off to a bit of a noisy start... The other people in the other rooms of the place were occupied by a bunch of young surfers. They were having a bit of a party in the evening but I figured itd all be fine since they said they'd keep it under control

...

and mostly they did too. But one guy in particular just didnt seem to have much idea about being considerate... He went out at about 11pm (when the others were wrapping it up) and came back at about 3am quite volubly drunk and proceeded to bang around the kitchen and the hall and argue with one of his friends who got up to ask him to be quiet...
... and then he left again...

... and came back again at 5am and hammered on the door... Till I got up and let him in... to which he responded with copious drunken verbal apologies and gratitude...
And by which I was "not particularly amused" but I was gracious enough to sincerely accept the apologies... and then went back to bed.

OK, so not great but it was just one night.

Next night things looked better and everyone went to bed at a reasonable hours
Everyone except my "special friend" that is... and he went out till 3am again and repeated the noise and arguments with friends again when he got home!
Again, I had to get up and politely ask that perhaps they could continue the loud discussion either quietly or at a later hour... which seemed to do the trick.
Again, I went back to bed but I was even less impressed than last time!
I didnt have to get up and let him in again at 5am, but when I went out at 7:30am he was there in the entry way (having continued his falling-out with his friends... I gathered they were no longer on talking terms!)...

Again, when he saw me he started his apologies but I was not so accommodating...
I suggested that rather than repeat the same old pattern of .. Get drunk, come home late, make noise, argue loudly with friends, and then apologise to neighbours etc in the morning...
Perhaps he might consider changing the original behaviour that required the apologies in the first place...
He didnt get it...

I explained that there was actually no one making him be loud except himself, and no one making him argue except his ego...
... and predictably, that went over like a "lead balloon" and set him off arguing at me :)))

I say "at me" because it was not "with me"... I wasnt playing the game...
I listened to his tirade for about a minute... It seems that he felt that his actions were fine and that the situations had been unavoidably caused by others... his friends, me,... anyone but himself... or that he even had the choice to not argue...
It seems that he was apologising not because he was sorry, but because it was "the form" of behaviour that he/everyone did... ie He was not sincere with the apology since he felt he had done nothing wrong!

Id had enough. I should have just left it at that, but I too have my issues, and I left him with a parting thought :) ...
So I quietly told him that it didnt matter, and "You can take your time, and grow up at your own rate" ... and I left to go get some breakfast.

I considered things over breakfast...
Id had three nice days of sun sand and surf.
Id paid in advance at the new place for only two nights and after the first night I thought that was rather fortunate... After the second night, I revised my opinion and felt that it was "prescient"!
When I got back about 45min later, everyone was gone. So,I packed up and left...

Back on the road heading South :)))