Saturday, November 7, 2009

Two Weeks in Guatemala

Im in Antigua now for a day or so.
I left San Pedro today while there was a bit of a break in the weather... Its been raining quite a lot for the last few days because there is a fading hurricane in the Caribbean and a tropical depression in the Pacific, and both are nearby.
But, I've had enough of sitting around, working on my bike, and having the same conversations about algae in lake Atitlan day after day. Not that its been bad at all; Ive had the chance to catch-up with all my people and dog friends there... Actually, I think I may know more of the town dogs by name than I do the people! :)
I also got to see a bunch of changes happening in the town in a "sudden" way that you just dont appreciate when you live in a place and things happen gradually day-by-day. It will be really interesting to see how the place has changed again on the way back North after a few more months... The town is definitely seeing a change-over in residents, and big changes in the local social, political, and environmental status-quo... Interesting times!


So, now Im in Antigua for a day or two. I'll mooch around tomorrow rather than move on because I want to post a package home before I leave, and the post office is closed on Sunday... So, Ill hang out till Monday morning. Then I'll move on again.

And that will make for a total of two weeks in Guatemala... A bit of a break after a month of riding South from Vancouver. After that, the current plan is to head for the Caribbean coast of Honduras to get some "beach time" in and hopefully do some scuba diving.
It'll take me two or three days to get there from here though (assuming the weather and the boarder authorities cooperate).

Either way, Ill be "On the road again"