Sunday, November 15, 2009

Utila















I made it out onto Utila after a few days of rain.
This is a little resort island in the Caribbean off the coast of Honduras... But, Boy is it a resort!
Its way more developed than San Pedro where Ive spent lots of time... I have to say that I guess Im not really cut out for the "resort" life style... Too many young kids (20-30) wanting to party it up every night. Too many loud music bars every night. Too many touts always trying to sell you stuff, and in the case of Utila particularly, Too many 2-stroke scooters polluting the air with lots of noise and lots of oily exhaust smoke!
I dont actually mind that the kids want to do this or that the resort towns cater to them, but its painful for me to be in amongst it all for more than a couple of days...

So, I found a dive company that operates off the other end of the island, out on a small kay (basically a small sand/coral island that is a couple of hundred meters long and about 500m off the coast of the main island).
And so, I find myself out here with a few other slightly older tourists spending a few days diving :)))









I rested and snorkelled, took some pictures and lay in the sun yesterday.















Today I did a couple of dives in the morning and I have to say that the coral was quite worth while :))
It was way better than the last couple of places I have been diving with lots of undamaged coral and plenty of fish life too. Having kept my marine aquarium for years, I recognised many of the critters we saw too which made it more fun. I have to say though that the water absorbs lots of the red light and thus the corals and fish seem quite muted compared to when they are in an aquarium, close to the surface and illuminated by good broad spectrum lights... I may well take up aquarium keeping again when/if I ever get settled down again :))

Ill post some pictures when I can but the highlights today were scorpion fish, lion fish, moray eels, pneudibracts, and so many recognisable corals and fish :))))

Two more days of diving and then Ill see if Ill dive some more or hit the road south...