Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fled

On the way to Cuzco, I rode through a large Peruvian town and I managed to not see that an intersection that I was approaching was not like most of the others that I get to ride through.
This town was big enough to have both traffic lights (which I see plenty of) as well as intersections controlled the old fashioned way... By a police officer waving their white cotton covered hands around at the traffic and tooting on a whistle.

But the officer was not in the middle of the intersection (which I would have immediately seen)... In this case, the officer was mounted up in a little box on one corner of the intersection (Weather protection and safer I assume). Anyway, this meant that I didnt see the officer till I was well out into the empty intersection... At which time the officer in the box came to my attention because of the shrill tooting and the energetic waving of hands... The hands and whistle that were telling me to STOP and "What the heck was I doing in the middle of their intersection when they were clearly saying STOP!"

Now, I wasnt going very fast and I promptly did come to a complete stop!. It took me about a second to figure out what was going on and give an acknowledging nod to the officer, and then a couple more seconds to get my bike moving again and headed immediately out of the intersection by the shortest route and in the direction the officer in the box pointed...

But, standing on the side of the road in that direction was another police officer (I assume there as both relief and backup for just such events), and this second officer was indicating quite clearly that I should pull over, and that we would then be "having a talk!"
Now, this was not what I wanted, and I have to admit that I figured I was definitely going to get a ticket for an "infraction" of some sort and in fact that I was very likely going to get "hit up for a bribe"...
Thats very possibly completely inaccurate of course, but in my defence, at the Peruvian boarder just the day before, Id had "every Policeman and his dog" try to get bribes from me, including Federal and municipal police!...(Though the customs and immigration were fine)
So, with these thoughts in my head, I decided that I was not going to stop and let them get their hands on me, my bike, or my drivers license... I decided that Id use the old "Hes just waving at me, so Ill wave back" routine and thus, we "waved" at each other and I rode quickly on down the street and out of town.
But, I noted in my rear view mirror that the second officer had pulled out his note pad and was writing down my plate number... Fair enough :)

So, I "fled the scene" as they say!
I rode on and there was no pursuit (It wasnt a particularly sinister crime I committed, so Id have been amazed if there was a pursuit) and no consequences for the time being.

But, I have to admit that I did commit the infraction in the first place, and then I did disobey the officers pretty clear instructions to pull over after that... So, if I do have troubles with it later then its my own fault... Cant go blaming anyone else :)

But, I now had the nagging thought that this was going to catch up with me at some point... The most likely being when I cross the boarder out of the country.
You always have to get checked off at Customs and Immigration, but quite often also by the police. Now, if it were Canada, I would not be at all surprised if the services were all interconnected and the police could put a "hold" or restriction on my bike plate number with the customs group. This would be very unlikely down here in latin america since they are often only barely computerised... But you never know... Yep, I may be in for some "explaining" when I get to the other end of Peru!

And so, Ive occasionally had little nagging thoughts about that for the last week or two as Ive been riding along.

And today was "judgement day"... Well on that little point anyway.

Today I crossed over into Ecuador way over at the completely opposite end of Peru.
I chose the same smaller crossing that I used on the way South because it was easy, quick, and quiet (definitely things to be desired at boarder crossings).


... and it went without a hitch. :))

No infringement notice to be paid or attempts at eliciting bribes etc... Just friendly and easy like last time :)))

So, it seems that the Peruvian systems are not that integrated ... Yet.
But it wont be too long before they are Im sure...


Note to self: Pay more attention for policemen with white cotton gloves in intersections!