Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Gazillion Gnu

After posting my passport off to Canada for an Ethiopian Visa as soon as I could, I went to see some of Kenya while I waited for it to come back...
I went to Massai Mara national park in Kenya specifically to see the massed herds of "the great migration". The main herds of wildebeest had crossed the Mara River before I got to see them in Serengeti NP in Tanzania, so I decided to catch up with them in Kenya instead...
And there are indeed literally MILLIONS of the blighters... as far as the eye can see in places :)

 




As far as the eye can see!
 



I didn't get to see them crossing the big Mara river but I did get to see them crossing a smaller stream... No crocs but they are still very flighty and inclined to "stampede" their way across!

 

 


 




 
Truly impressive to see the sheer numbers of wildebeest.... And really hard to get any sleep at all if you are camping near them because of their constant "gnu"ing.