Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Half Wait There

Im in limbo at the moment.

I sent my passport back to Canada with all the appropriate documentation for an Ethiopian visa. about 10 days ago and when I checked the tracking number this morning I can see that the passport has started its return journey to me from the embassy :)... I wont know if Im continuing my trip Northward or having to turn around and head back South for a few days yet (till it gets to my home in Vancouver and someone actually looks inside to see if they granted me a visa ... which I expect they did)... And I expect it will be another 10 days or s before the passport makes its way back to me here in Nairobi.
But even then I still have to apply for a Sudan visa which will take still more time (all the paperwork is ready to take to the Nairobi embassy as soon as I get the passport back).
So, it seems I am really "half way there"... Half way from CapeTown to Cairo (16000Km ridden so far), Half way through the waiting time while I get visas. Halfway through the planned duration of the trip, and half way through getting the 2 visas that I need.

And I have to admit that all this "waiting" is rather accentuating my feelings of "time pressure"... I was roughly planning to take about 6 months for the ride but I allowed myself about 3 extra weeks for the "unknowns" of getting the one visa I thought I had to get and also for dealing with the unknown "exit" details of shipping or selling the motorbike at the Northern end of the trip. But Ive had this unexpected 3 week delay here in the middle of the trip and its used up pretty much all of my "buffer" time... There is nothing I can do about it of course but at the moment it does make me feel slightly anxious about the schedule... All I can really do is to start trying to get more "exit" details as soon as I have got the second visa rather than waiting till I get further North.

In the mean-time though, while Ive been "waiting", Ive been trying to use the time to see some of Kenya (since I cant see any other countries without my passport). First, as mentioned earlier, I went off to Massai Mara and saw the animals... which was good but only took about three days.

... more to come while I wait for the visa...