Monday, September 29, 2014

Mo's Mountain


I rode a couple of hundred Km into the middle of Sinai… To a place called St Catherine’s, which is a many centuries old monastery out in the middle of the mountains in the middle of the Sinai desert… And it is the alleged location of the famous Mt Sinai… Yeh where Moses went to have a chat with God and got the “Ten Commandments”… Though it has to be said that there seems to be quite a lot of dissension as to where Mt Sinai was “actually” located!

So I rode on out there, through some quite beautiful desert I might add, and found a camp ground for the night… I was just gonna see the monastery but it turned out the mountain was not that big so I decided to hike to the top. It is of course quite a Religious tourist destination and pilgrims have been climbing it for centuries.

It was no pilgrimage for me though and I just hiked it for the exercise and the view and contemplation value. I decided to hike it on the afternoon of the day I arrived and stay at the top for sunset and then return to my camp. I set out at about 3:30pm and it took me 2 hours to scale it on a broad well defined path (not a trail at all) though it was a bit rugged in a few places. The top section is some 750 steps to a small Greek Orthodox chapel and a small Mosque built on the summit (elevation gain is about 700m). So I toddled off along the trail with my trusty little point and shoot camera (just in case I should be accosted by a chatty burning bush – which apparently has happened here before?) and a litre of water. I got to the top with about 30min spare before sunset. I looked about a bit and thought about it all for a bit and then toddled off back down the track in the rather darker than hoped evening (almost no moon to light my way). The down section was a lot more uncomfortable for my poor knees and feet than the up but after another couple of hours (the dark slowed me down) I was back at camp.









 

I then slept a rather restless night… not due to any religious dreams or visitations but rather due to the lack of a breeze and the “visitations” of quite a few mosquitoes… I had decided not to use my tent since the weather seemed nice and clear… bad choice it turned out!

In the morning I found my motorbike had a flat tire so I took a couple of hours to fix that (I need to get a “bead-breaker”  for my tool-kit to speed that up!) and then I headed for “the promised land”…. A couple hundred kilometers to the border with Israel