Sunday, September 21, 2014

Personal Deportment Issues


As I mentioned, I am daily interacting with quite a range of people here in Egypt as I make my way through the country. And I have a hard time balancing my emotional responses to the behaviors I see in people… Sometimes I am humbled by their generosity only to be disgusted moments later by their rapacious greed for money the next. Or Im impressed by their personal appearance in a dusty/dirty world only to be amazed by their lack of care over how their street looks as they throw their litter in the street. Frequently they want to help me so much that they are incapable of listening to what it is they can help me with… Its incredibly frustrating at times J And I don’t speak Arabic so the language barrier is an added “amplifier” of misunderstanding too…

And so, every day Im having difficult interactions with the Egyptians I meet along my way as I get petrol for the bike and find food to eat and places to sleep and directions to this place or that… And while I keep trying to take the “high road” I have to admit that at least a couple of times each day I find Ive “taken a wrong turn” and am on the “low road”… angry and using a raised voice and thinking bad thoughts, much as the other party in the situation is feeling at the same time Im sure. Its definitely the most challenging country of the trip, but the reality is that the challenges are actually reflections of aspects of my own personality.

And so Im getting plenty of opportunities to “grow”… but as usual Im failing to make the most of lots of those opportunities… Im only human (and old and stuck in my ways at that!) and I think we all learn pretty slowly with this sort of thing… All I can do is my best, and when I get it wrong, well I can reflect on it afterward and then try to do better next time J

Egypt – a land of challenges J