Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Silence of the Lamb


While I was staying in Gondar I found a new tourist hotel that gave me a cheap price for a pretty nice room… I was the only foreign tourist staying there and almost the only guest at all… It was pretty quiet except for the constant bleeting of a sheep that they kept in the courtyard area… where the motorbike was parked. Actually the bleeting became quite annoying since the sheep in question had a particularly penetrating and loud voice and the hotel halls and rooms were all tiled and had no soft furnishings or features to absorb noise. But after a few hours of evening annoyance, the animal quietened down for the night and I did get some sleep.

I assumed that the sheep was a more or less normal fixture in the place and that it was probably there to eat green waste from the kitchen and eventually would find its way onto the house table… as most sheep do one way or another.

And the next morning before the sun was even up the sheep fired up just like a rooster and that was the end of sleep… Not really a problem since I was going to head off early today anyway. I got up and wandered out into the town streets to seek out a coffee source J


 
 

And after coffee I headed back to the hotel to pack the bike and leave. And I noticed as I walked upstairs that the sheep was now silent and assumed that it was being fed or otherwise pacified. But when I took my first load of luggage out to the bike I found the cause was somewhat other! And that my initial diagnosis of the sheeps purpose was quite accurate!

 

Warning… graphic violence below! J

 

Yes, the sheep was headed for the dinner table in the shorter rather than longer term!

Note, I am a meat eater and I have no problem with the sheep being treated this way… It was a healthy animal and had been more or less treated reasonably well (not starved or beaten or otherwise abused). I have quite a few friends who also eat meat but who cant stand the thought or sight of animals being prepared for their tables!... I find this to be completely hypocritical behaviour and I have no respect for their delicate sensibilities on this front… If you are prepared to eat it then you should damn well be prepared to see the animals killed and if need be do it your self!

I also have some friends who are vegetarians and I respect that and I understand that pictures of animals being killed and prepared for table are distressing to them… they at least are not being hypocrites.

When I was a kid growing up, we would pretty frequently kill a sheep or a cow and often chickens… And the butchering and cleaning were all done by my mum and dad… It was the way things were done back in the 60s and 70s in Australia. I guess things have changed but I still say people who want to eat meat should be prepared to do the deed and if not actually kill the animals they eat then they should not be squeamish about seeing it done!

punching off the skin.
 
Breaking the animal up into smaller cuts.