Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Un Quetzal

 (photo from the web, not from my camera)

Long day in the saddle today. I made it down to the coast from up in the highlands. It rained overnight and the roads were all wet in the morning, so I was driving very carefully till things dried out (Wet mountain roads were how I had my first accident on this trip!)
It was a good thing I was going slow too, since I was privileged enough to have a Quetzal sighting!

Yes, the Guatemalan national bird (its on their flag too) is very rare but it was very nearly even rarer!
It flew right across the road in front of me and we didn't miss by much. He was nearly an ornament on my windscreen. I assume it was a he since it had the very red breast and the long dark green tail feathers - and most female birds are not as brightly coloured as the males. Anyway, I felt quite blessed to finally get to see one.
So, now I'm back down on the coast near Puerto Escondido and its rather hot and humid down here. I pulled off the road and found a hotel just before the rain started a about 5pm today.
Now to find some food for the evening meal...

Another day almost done.