Friday, July 31, 2009

Liard Hot Springs






















I have been camping for the last three days on whatever patch of flat ground in a secluded spot that I can find. This is good and cheap but the weather has been really hot all over BC for the last couple of weeks and I have become very sweaty... This makes sleeping in a sleeping bag rather unpleasant!

But I just hadnt stopped at an official camp ground with showers to deal with the problem yet.... But it was gonna happen in the next day or so thats for sure!
But, as I was riding along, I saw a sign saying Liard Hot Springs. Now if Id actually planned my trip, Id have known they were there and could have planned a stop there. As it is, I usually cant be bothered with planning and I just `wing it`.

So, I stopped and got my swimming shorts out of the bottom of my luggage and trotted off into the woods.
Im usually not that impressed by hotsprings since in my previous experience, they are either festering mud holes in the bush, or way over commercialized with tiled spa like tubs and swimming pools that cost a lot.

However, this one was very nice indeed.
The BC parks service have done a very tastefull job. There is a four hundred metre board-walk into the forest through some wetland. Then at the actual pools, there are some environmentally friendly composting toilets, some change rooms, and wooden platforms and staris etc into the pools.

Its all very low key and clean and neat and accessible and free.

So, I had a dip in the very pleasantly hot water and got the grime and sweat off from the previous four days. Then I rinsed off the sulphur smell in a stream of refreshingly cold water.
Then I relaxed for a bit (very few bugs here...Not sure why), got dressed and carried on riding West.

Very pleasant experience in deed :)))