Thursday, July 30, 2009

Safari

























Its been a bit of a wildlife tour for the last day or so. Ive seen lots of different animals including:Coyote, Mule Deer, Cariboo, Bison (The warning signs call them Buffalo so I guess I should too), Big Horn Sheep, Black Bear, and a Porcupine too. All were quite benign which was nice, though I admit that I was worried about the porcupine attackinbg my motorbike over night.

That likely sounds strange to people who dont live in BC, but its a real issue.
The porcupines seem to really like salt and minerals and eat whatever they find that has this stuff. I guess its due to the roads here being salted in the winter or something actually in the rubber, but when parking vehicles in the remote back woods here in BC you have to wrap a fence of chicken wire around your car to stop the blighters chewing your tyre valves and door seals and electrical wiring etc... They really can be a problem.

Anyway, it turned out the little guy I encountered was more worried about me than I was about him and he didnt come back in the night :)

The only large critters that I have not yet seen are Moose and Grizzly bear...

I live in hope :)