Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lotusland Again

Well, Ive been back in Vancouver for a few days now.
Recent observations...
1) They are not using "thermal imaging" equipment at the Guatemala airport to check for people flying with fevers...for the Swine flu... I was a bit worried that they might be (as they have been doing in some places) and that I would still have a fever when I checked in. But the flu that I was suffering from had moved on to other areas by the time I got to the air port so no problem :)
I am actually fully recovered now too.

2) People in Seattle are definitely fatter than people in Vancouver. I spent a couple of days in the US before I came back to Canada and I think I saw a reasonable cross-section of people while I was there and here too since I returned... No question; There is more weight south of the boarder!

3) Its hot here! Yep, its hotter here than it was back at the lake in San Pedro... Which I was not expecting!... I guess its not that surprising really since Lake Attitlan is at 1500m ASL: And that should mean its about 10-15 degC cooler than at sea level... And that seems about right : High thirties there on the coast and low thirties here in Van :)

4) Hot showers with good water pressure are indeed one of lifes pleasures!
Ive basically not had a good shower for all the time I was in Guatemala: Low pressure water and crappy electric water heaters in the showers (suicide showers). But now Im back in the developed world, Im making the most of it :)


Im really busy running around and saying Hi to all my friends here. Im also running around trying to get my motorbike ready so I can ride off north to Alaska before the end of the month.
And thats about it for the moment.