Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ashes and Dust

























Well, they burned "the man".

Its all over now and the music has stopped and the ashes of the man are being cleaned up. The desert is going back to its usual self... Silence and dust.

note:
In the pictures above, the man is 40 feet tall and is standing on a platform that is about the same height again... Its a big fire :)))

Saturday was a particularly unpleasant day out here in the desert
The wind got strong early in the day, and then got stronger. And that stronger wind raised lots more dust. It was actually quite impressive how much dust there was and that people "carried on" regardless! There was so much dust that I honestly could not see more than 20m at times, and you could see the layer of dust building up on anything or anyone who stood in sheltered spot for even just a few minutes. When I got back to my tent after an hour or two away, absolutely everything had 1mm of dust all over it...Im SOOO glad this is the last day of this :)...

Ive had a really good time, met some great people, seen some amazing creativity... etc.
But, Id have to say that if I were to do it again I would want to be with a group of people and in an RV ... and the irony of that comment is truly sweet given my posts from the Alaska trip :))))) That would be far more social, far more comfortable, and far more fun.
Im glad I went, but I would not do it again in the same style.

And As I said before, it was very impressive to see that many people choosing to live in those very harsh conditions and leaving their inhibitions and prejudices at the gate for a whole week.

Now for the ride back to Vancouver... again :)