Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What is "Burning Man" ?

This is the kind of situation where my perennial "lack of research" leaves me looking a bit stupid :))

Which is to say that I dont really know...
Im just here because: Ive heard of it a few times, Those people always said it was a "blast", and it happens to be at the time of year when Im back in Vancouver and at a bit of a loose end.
So,I decided to go and see what it was all about.

Actually, my "lack of research" is, in this case (and most other cases as well), quite deliberate...I like to build my own impressions of things, and I like the surprise of not knowing quite what to expect. I generally do only as much research as I need to in order to convince myself that "itll probably be a good experience".

So, what do I "know" about this one?
Well, I believe that this "annual event" started in the mid eighties on a beach near San Francisco. I believe that within a few years it moved out into the Black Rock desert of Nevada, and has been there ever since.
The event started small, but over the years it has grown and grown, and now I believe it has over 10,000 attendees each year! Thats far from "roots" but I believe it is still well worth going to... Guess Ill find out soon.

But WHAT is it?
Well, with my current understanding of the event Id describe it as a "counter culture festival of performance, temporary sculptural, and "improbable" art..."
... And your imagination can do what it will with that definition, and you probably wont get even close! :))

Other things I know are:
Its a week long, starting 1 Sep and going to 7 Sep (this year).
Its on a dry lake bed (gypsum... very dusty!) not far from Reno Nevada.
You have to bring everything you need for the week... including water!
There is absolutely no "buying or selling" of anything at the event. (barter and trade is OK though).
There is no motorized transport at the site... Thats 10000 people walking or riding bicycles for a week.
... and thats about it!

So, having just finished a three week trip to the Arctic, I have just hopped back on my motorbike and ridden South from Vancouver for two days to find myself in baking hot Nevada desert.
Its Sunday 31st Aug and Ive made it to Glenarch - a tiny little desert town only 15Km from the event site.

I can see where its going to happen by the cloud of dust out of town to the NE.
Today is reserved for the people setting up their sites with large "installations". The show starts at midnight tonight, and the general entry people (like me) wont be allowed in till then.
So, Ive found a patch of shade in the town and Im sitting and writing down my thoughts.
There are plenty of other people here doing the same thing...there is a definite "aire" of alternative and off-beat culture around, with plenty of oddly decorated vehicles and people with odd hair and clothes.
The event is clearly an opportunity for lots of people to "let their hair down" as they say :))

Im also thinking that Im gonna have a tough time of camping there.
Its really hot here.
There is absolutely no shade at the site.
Its really windy here and that constant dust cloud is what Im gonna camp in!
Pretty much everyone else I have seen is in a Bus, and RV, a Caravan, or a camper...
My tent is very small and the inner only has mesh walls... so everything is gonna get absolutely coated in that dust!

...bummer... guess Ill just have to "suck it up" :)))