Monday, September 28, 2009

Nor Much in Colorado!


















Well, Ive decided not to repeat the line I took through the USA the last time I rode South. Last time, I went through the very impressive "painted desert" of Utah with all the parks like Arches, Zion, Canyonlands, Bryces Gorge, and Monument Valley etc.

But Ive seen that area and Ive decided to see what else there is out here...
Took a line due South through Colorado toward Sata-Fe.

The first bit of the ride along the I-70 toward Denver was quite nice, and then very nice for about 25Km as the highway runs through the steep cliffs of Glenwood Canyon. Its really beautiful and the highway has a quite aesthetic "split-level" structure. It winds through the canyon along with a railway, a cycle way, and of course the river that created the canyon.
It would have been better to be a passenger though since there is a lot going on with the other traffic, and narrow lanes and tunnels and cliffs and rapids etc.... just a bit too much to really enjoy it.

But, if you ever come this way, then its well worth seeing.

Other than that, I have to say that the Rockies of Colorado are not that impressive to me. The Canadian Rockies are much more aesthetic to my eye (especially the glacier parkway).
My route here was selected at random and no doubt there are better choices. The route is however quite high with long distances above the 3000m height. The country looks quite like Montana to me with grassy valleys and friendly looking small mountains on either side... nice country.

That height does effect the temperature though... "There's Cold in them thar hills!"
Which is to say, I spent quite a bit of last night huddled in my tent, and there was frost on the bike this morning...

Good job Im heading further South!