Monday, November 12, 2007

Inland Again

After a rest day at Bill and Cathy's to recuperate and put my bike back together after the last little endeavour, I headed South along the coast again. After about 3 hours of riding  with lots of windy pavement and barely any other traffic, I turned left and headed inland to go to a little resort area around an inland lake.

It took me another three hours to get there and I climbed up several thousand feet, so the air got considerably colder again. I got to the town quite late but I found an RV park that was cheap and convenient so I stopped there for the night. But it was much colder than on the coast and in the morning there was no frost but there was heavy fog and lots of dew.
I decided to leave the tent to dry and to ride around the little villages on the lake edge. This all went well enough and the villages were very quaint with terracotta roof tiles and brown and white painted adobe construction with cobbled streets. I had heard that this was a good area to be for the "day of the dead" but it was too far for me to get to at the time. It turned out that this was one week after that festival and it seemed that everybody was again visiting the cemetery ... I guess the spirits of the dead come back to visit for a whole week before returning again to wherever they hang out for the rest of the year. The local villages preferred a more traditional decoration for their cemetery's and rather than the bouquets of all sorts of colours they focused on Marigolds and the cemetery's were all festooned in orange :)
I wandered through a couple of villages and looked at the local craft works (they are really big on wood and stone carving here) and I noticed some strange looking fish hooks in the window of shop. I asked what they were and it turned out that these little "hooks" were for "Cock fighting". They were hooked blades with very sharp edges about 2-3cm long.

Cock Fighting goes like this...
Sooo, I guess two guys decide they want their cocks to fight and they lash these little curved razor sharp blades to their cocks. Then they get their cocks in a ring and the cocks go at each other with the attached blades. There is of course quite a lot of squawking and blood but in the end, the last cock still standing is the winner!
Simple really but why any guy would want to do that to his cock I really couldn't say??...

So, after riding around the lake and having a look at the towns, I headed off again along a small highway and just stopped in a small town when it got near dark and found someone to let me sleep under the eaves of their house on the main road.
No problems today... :)