Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thoughts about Mexicans and Me

I´m about three quarters the way through Mexico and I´ve seen lots of the country including many little villages and a couple of big cities. Ive had lots of time to myself and I´ve done a bit of thinking about what I´ve seen.

For the most part, the people here seem generally to be quite happy with their lot (at least outwardly). For me, the overwhelming themes of the country are - lots of tiny little villages, lots of people, lots of garbage, lots of noise, and huge amounts of dust and dirt streets.
Most of the young people (teens) seem healthy and well proportioned, but the women seem to get very fat very quickly after getting married... I assume this is caused by the change of lifestyle (Caring for babies and keeping a house). It seems like you can do quite an accurate assessment of who is married and who is single by taking a quick estimate of "Body Mass Index" for the females but the guys don´t seem to get quite the same effect. Other observations are that people seem to get married and have children quite young (late teens to early twenties Id guess) and that during the day, the men and women seem to lead almost completely separate lives. I´m sure this is just during the days and that they get together in the evenings and nights since there seems to be no shortage of Mexicans!
In the daytime though, the children (0 - 5yrs) are never left alone at all (different to Canada) and are always in the very immediate care of an adult or an older sibling (sometimes only about 3yrs older). The little children are just precious and they seem to be able to have fun with the simplest of things and play with a rock or a sibling and roll around in the dust etc.
I see these little kids, especially the little girls, and I see so much happiness and so much potential. And then I see the little village where they live and how little money their parents have, and how limited their opportunities will be, and I get very sad...
... In all probability, they will "play" till they are about 15 (through their school years) and then they will get a girl or boy friend, get married and have children and live very mundane domestic lives in the dirt like their parents do... When I think about this, my initial instinct is that I desperately want to change this and give them more of the privileges that I have... But on deeper reflection, I may be the one who has suffered more than they would!!

It seems to me that the very limited opportunities that these children have are for the most part a simplification that does not really remove the most important opportunities that we all have. It seems to me that the lives they will likely lead are more or less the same as the lives led by thousands of generations of humans before them and that what really matters in peoples lives is their "connections" to other people...This coming from me! - probably the most "disconnected" person that I know in the world.
Sure, some people are famous, and some people change the world and the course of history, but "history" is really just the way we remember the people who came before us :) (History is people and how they mattered to us in the present).
So, these little kids that I want to "save", really already have it better than I do in many ways... They will always have the very immediate presence of close family and friends, and the "privileges" of opportunity that I have are in fact distractions and "burdens of choice" that actually mostly make life harder in many ways. I think these distractions are why many people in the privileged first world are not having children or at least are having them very late... We get distracted by the choices in our lives!

So, I guess I need to do lots more thinking before I step in and "save" anyone from their fate - since I may after all be the one that actually needs saving :)