Thursday, November 15, 2007

Stopover on Oaxaca



















I´ve been in Oaxaca city for the last few days and have to say that it is the city that I have enjoyed the most on this trip so far. It is not too big and there are lots of buildings with great architecture, a big city square with big green trees and lots of outdoor cafes to sit at and watch the world go by. Its not too hot or too cold, and there are also lots of craft shops with all sorts of stuff :)

The first thing I did was to do some web research on a new camera and find a shop to see what was available here. The latest and greatest stuff is not available, but that's fine with me since I want something cheaper this time. I chose another Cannon but with an 8Mpixel sensor and only 4x optical zoom. I figure this will do for the rest of the trip, and it only set me back a little over $300. So I bought that and set about getting used to using it in the city.
Then I went shopping for crafts because I was going to ship some stuff back to Canada from here anyway and I may as well make the most of the postal effort... Well I got a bit carried away and there are now two quite large boxes of "crap" on their way back to Canada :)
The down side is that I´ve got through the best part of $1000 in the past week but the upside is that my bike will be quite a bit less loaded up and that is a good thing. I expect there will be another posting of crafts but it will be from somewhere much further South.

So, I´ve been here two days and have enjoyed the city and tried to eat and sleep well while I was here (the food is cheap and good) and I´ll stay one more night before heading off again tomorrow morning. Its back to the coast again for one more visit (they say the Oaxaca coast is beautiful) and to replace some of the lost pictures.

Back up to speed...