Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Plot Thickens



























Yesterday, the driver that went to the city for the new clutch parts for my bike called in the afternoon and informed us that the new parts were not the same as the old parts... It is "standard procedure" here to compare the new and old parts at the point of purchase for compatibility (before handing over the cash).
So we thought about this for a while and then called the Suzuki people directly. They informed us that the version of the clutch that I have was only released in Canada and USA and that I would therefore need to get new parts shipped in from there.
This would take the Suzuki people a month or more!
Alternately I could get the parts couriered in from my bike shop in Vancouver. This would probably take about a week but would also cost quite a bit for couriering. So then we thought up a third option. My mechanic has a sister coming to visit from the USA in two weeks and she could bring parts in for free (well, no courier costs anyway.) This is a slow solution, but I figure in the mean time I can put the old clutch back together with a field fix and then go pottering around and see the rest of the sights in Guatemala for a week or two. Then I come back here and install the new clutch parts and move on :)

So this is the option I have selected for the present, but there is of course a reasonably high probability that the plan will have to change again, not least for the reason that the new parts when they arrive may not be right for some other reason... Oh well what can ya do!

I´m a bit "at the mercy of the gods" on this one... I guess I´ll see what happens.