Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Shake Down

Down on the coast, the humidity was intense and there was a lot of mist-haze. The temperature was in the mid 30s by 10am - Very different to only two days before where I had both my fleeces on and kept the grip heaters on till mid day. It was definitely jungle country with deep green foliage and the road winding along through tunnels of green with leafy vines dangling from the very horizontal branches of the jungle trees. There were also plenty of the buttressed roots on lots of the big trees - very exotic :) ... I kept an eye out for Tarzan but he didn´t show.
So I rode along the coast highway toward Puerto Valarta and checked out a couple of the villages on the coast along the way ... Yes, there could be places here that Id like to live in the winters. Then the urban development of Puerto Vallarta started and went on for a long time. This is now a very large city by anyone's standards and I would definitely not want to live in it, though it does have all the western conveniences including "Office Depot" if you want it, so I guess living within an hour or sos range would not be a bad thing.

As I rode through the South end of the old town, it got nice again and I was starting to enjoy it again when I got pulled over by one of the local cops. Unfortunately I didn´t have my "second" wallet set up yet and had to give him my real drivers licence... And he also saw that I had quite a bit of cash in my wallet in the process! So now he has my licence and won´t give it back  He tells me I´ll have to get it from the station (but of course that's is an hour to the North!) sometime after lunch time tomorrow!
Basically he is setting me up to have to pay him off so I can get my license back today.
Ultimately, I didn´t negotiate very well and ended up paying him $50 to get going again! I felt stupid about this but I should have been better prepared so it was my own fault.

I rode South again (slower and more observant) and at about 3pm I selected a side road at more or less random and headed for the beach to find a camp (...And set up my second wallet with minimal cash, old credit cards and an old Tasmanian drivers licence that I could walk away from if I wanted).
I pulled up at the end of the road in a very small town right on the coast and walked out onto the beach in my motorcycle gear (Not the usual attire for the beach.) . There was a small group of "white skinned" tourists there and almost no one else in sight, so I approached them and asked about where one might camp and who to get permission from. It turned out that Bill and Cathy owned the house I had parked my bike in front of and that I was welcome to camp on their driveway if I wanted  :) They would have offered their suit but their friends Ken and Pat (the other two) were staying there for the moment.

Saved again by the generosity of people selected at random :)