Saturday, August 22, 2009

Brief Respite

I made it back to Vancouver OK - Lack of front brakes not withstanding :)
Ive been here a couple of days now and am visiting my friends as I get the chance and fixing the bike etc.

The bike has suffered quite a bit on this trip, and it still has a few issues from previous trips too. For example, I discovered while trying to replace the front brake pads (yes, they have them here in Van) that a "keeper pin" that holds the pads in place is "frozen" in place. I tried everything I could to free it, but its corroded in there good and proper! My tools are limited though, so I let the bike shop work on it...They failed as well...!
I think the problem is that it got salt water on it during the Darrian-Gap crossing over a year ago (like everything else!) and since it has not been moved since then (even though I washed it all thoroughly) it is now, well and truly corroded in place.
So, now it looks like a "drill it out and replace it" job, but it will have to wait a while since I need to use the bike again in a few days. I have the other side of the front brakes fixed, and the "jammed" side still has a bit of the pads left, so Im good for a week or two of riding :))

But I tell ya, the cost of all the fixes and upgrades and replacing of things is quite painful! About $1500 disappeared in a day, and thats just to get back to good running condition... There are more upgrades in the pipe before I head off again...
Its really painful when you have no income like me at the moment.
On the bright side though, the bike has done very well given then way its been treated and the distances it has traveled (this trip was over 12000Km in less than a month). Im absolutely sure that any car would have cost me a lot more.

But, the bike is not the only thing that is tired and wearing out!
Im feeling rather "pooped" myself. Ive been feeling really tired (sleeping lots), and my hands are constantly kind of "numb and tingly" ... and my feet are only a little better.
This has no doubt been caused by the long hours of riding with the knobbly tires causing lots of vibration. Its natures way of telling me to "take a break".

So, thats what Im gonna try to do for the next week or so.
I will however write up a bit of a trip summary and stats for the blog... should be there in a day or two.