Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meese

















Well, Im going with "Meese" as the plural for Moose...

I think "Mice" (as in the plural for mouse) would be incorrect, and even though I suspect that much like "Fish" and "Sheep" where the plural and singular are the same, Im still gonna go with "Meese" (like the plural for goose is geese).

And this subject comes up because over the last three days I have seen several of these critters :)

Yep, there do seem to be quite a few of them up in these parts.
I have seen bulls and cows and calves (I think thats all correct gender/age referencing).
Some were just on the side of the road in the trees (awaiting an opportunity to stroll out onto the highway and scare the wits out of some unsuspecting driver no doubt!).
Others were doing the classic "standing in a lake up to their bellies eating pond weed" thing.
All were very large... bigger than your average horse by weight and bigger than me at the shoulders -their shoulders, my head - by height!

Anyway, I have now seen more than one moose :)))

And while Im at it, I was also lucky enough to see a Wolverine out on the tundra. Actually he came quite close to me as he crossed the road, and I got a reasonable picture... They look like a very feral and shaggy Badger, so Im assuming they are in the same biological family.
And I saw quite a few Muskoxen though they were mostly out on the tundra where I couldnt get close enough to take good pictures.

The wildlife tour continues...

Id really like to see a Brown Bear but they seem rather scarce.
Maybe I should get a little more pro-active about it and try to lure them out of hiding?...

Perhaps I should strip down, lash a few fresh salmon to my arms and legs, then pour a pot of honey over myself and ride around on my motorbike looking soft, pink, and delicious!

... Nah. For the time being, Ill just keep a careful lookout and carry on with the tour.