Monday, August 17, 2009

More Mechanical Challenges.

A couple of days further along the road and I have located a pressure washer and washed my bike :)
This removed several kilograms of baked on mud from the Dempster Highway...a good thing.
This also helped me look into the oil leak... which Im still not sure about....It may not be real.
It may have been a pooling of excess chain lube oil in the sprocket cover...caused by a mud dam...
Usually the chain lube just flies off and is gone, but the huge amount of mud had built a bit of a dam in behind the sprocket cover. When I stopped riding and parked the bike on its side stand the dam overflowed and thus the dripping oil....
Well, that may be it, or it may be that the leak just wasnt as bad over the last day.
We shall see with more time I guess :)

But, now I have a new and even more serious issue!
My front wheel bearings have really "given up the ghost" over the last couple of days.
The handling of the bike went really bad and more than the usual amount of noise was coming from the front brakes...
The bearings have really "let go" and the front wheel has about 1mm of wobble on the bearing (this is ENORMOUS!).

So, Im still 1500km from Vancouver and nothing but little service stations out here.
I'll just have to limp on very slowly and carefully till I get to Smithers (in a day or so) and try to fix the bearings there.
My big concern is that the bearings may seize at some point and then the front wheel would lock up and Id crash instantly... guess Ill go real slow :))
The other "bad" possibility is that the bearings could keep rolling but get so loose that they just fall apart...In which case the front wheel will totally loose its tracking and again I get a more or less instant crash...
OR, it could all work out OK and me and the bike will survive to Smithers where I get it fixed and carry on happily to Vancouver

Guess well find out what happens soon enough :)))