Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hunting and Fishing for Fun

What do I think about modern people killing wild animals as a form of recreation?

The question comes up because thats what most people up here in the North do for fun.
There is not a single hotel bar that I have been into up here that does not have at least a couple of large animal heads mounted on the walls, and every RV park, motel and roadside cafe is adorned with many a set of antlers from moose and caribou etc.
They are generally normal nice people, and they also do all sorts of other stuff for fun too, but there are not a lot of "urban" type activities for them to engage in out here. For example, team sports are sadly lacking when the community you live in is only a couple of dozen people.
Likewise, theaters and restaurants and swimming pools and even playgrounds are few and far between. So, people engage in "motorized recreation" and or go hunting and fishing for fun.

And Id have to say that these activities are deep seated in our psyches from millennia of our species efforts to live off the land. Its fundamental to our being. We love to track, and stalk, and chase, and hit a moving target... Its part of our being.
And so in a very deep sense, I feel I understand the urge, though I myself do not hunt and only occasionally fish.

And, Id have to say again, that if it was done in the traditional way, and the killed animal was put to good use, and the species is not endangered...then, Im basically OK with it.
... Really, if you want to go hunting for Grizzly bears with a few dogs and armed with nothing but a knife and a spear, then I say `Go for it`... good luck!

But, that of course is the problem... Nobody does it the traditional way.
As far as I can tell, most people take the utmost advantage of modern technology to maximize their chances of a kill and to minimize the discomforts, difficulties and risks to them selves.
... From the use of logging roads, ATVs, power boats, snow-mobiles,and even helicopters and fixed wing aircraft to get access to the "good hunting and fishing";
To the use of fish finders and depth sounders or high powered long range rifles with scopes, or even the real "back to basics" guys who use modern compound carbon-fiber hunting bows...
Its all very much in the "Humans favour".

Now, there are some people who go to any lengths to kill their chosen prey, but I believe for the most part the hunters would honestly feel that its by no means easy to get their target.
But I still feel that virtually all modern hunting is "obscenely" one sided, and therefore not really a suitable "sporting" activity in my opinion.
About the only real exception to this that I know of (which leaves some room to be sure) is fly-fishing.... I got no real problem with fly-fishing.
To a lesser extent, I am also mostly OK with regular lure and bait fishing too, though net-fishing is "not on" as far as sport or entertainment is concerned for me.
So, hunting, mostly seems like poor sportsmanship to me, and a sport that pretty much always costs the other "participant" its life, just for entertainment...
Well... again, I find it to be pretty sad really.

So, thats more or less my outlook...
Fishing for entertainment (catch and release) or food (catch and eat) seems mostly fine to me, but hunting done the modern way is not.

But like I said, you wanna go do it the old way with the old tools then, I say thats fine.