Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Close Call!

I just had a bunch of fix-up work done on my bike after the Alaska trip.
I mentioned that the bike shop worked on the front brakes but had not solved the problem yet.
So, Im riding around while we wait for the replacement part to come in.

Im driving around town as usual and the bike is, on the whole, working fine.
There is one of those "quickly developing" little traffic situations that we all deal with in every-day city traffic...
I need to do some fairly quick braking... I apply the brakes (front and back - right hand and right foot - at the same time as is automatic for bike riders)... but there is absolutely "nothing there" on the front brake - which is where about 90% of your stopping power is!... SHIT SHIT SHIT!

... "Emergency avoidance procedures" while still braking with the rear... on brand new, very slippery tires... with a heavy bike loaded with panniers... SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!

JUST MISSED the back of the other car... JUST MISSED the front of the car in the adjacent lane where I had to swerve to... Not sure how the wheels didnt slide out from under me... PHEEEEEW!!

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??

Pulled out of traffic and parked and inspected the front wheel braking system...
Ahha!
...Missing bolt on left front calliper!
...Remaining bolt loose...
...Calliper has rotated away from the disc so that the pads are no longer on the disc...

So, this means that these two bolts were not tightened after they were removed and replaced to get the front wheel off - to change the front tyre... No other possibility.

Right, so it appears that the bike shop has tried to kill me!

I get back on the bike which I can ride fine in this condition if I know about it and give myself lots more space ahead of me and go slow) and go find a replacement bolt...
OK, its all working as it should now :)

Now for a visit to the bike shop!

To keep the story "polite" and just to mention the general gist of that meeting, it went like this:

I walk into the shop and up to the counter where, as luck would have it, the owner is standing (Normally he is not around and you just get to talk to staff).
Im asked pleasantly, how am I today?
To which I say "I just had a REALLY REALLY bad experience!", and sternly ask the owner to come with me to look at my bike.
He sees Im not happy and obliges me.
We walk out to my bike, and again as luck would have it, the young mechanic who was working on my bike the day before is out there too, getting another bike in for some work in the shop.
I ask him to "please come over here and have a look at this" which he does...

I proceed to point out the shiny new replacement bolt and explain to them why it is there, and with the application of a certain amount of "vitriol" I point out that I am displeased with their work!
I also point out that had the "incident" turned out any other way (which is by far the probable way it would have turned out) that they would both be in "a very deep pile of unpleasant brown stuff"!

They understand and do what they can, after the fact, to rectify the problem and pacify me.
I have a long relationship with this shop and the owner, and I also like the young mechanic... I am pacified.

So, here is a simple procedure for anyone who does mechanic work...

When working, ALL bolts are either "in and done up tight", or "out completely"!
NEVER put bolts partially in or finger tight!
Always give a final check to EVERY bolt you have touched on the machine before you "finish" the job.
No exceptions... EVER!



That was a close one...