Monday, August 17, 2009

The Fur Trade... alive and well!



Western Canada was basically populated by Europeans through the fur trade. The "vehicle" for the fur trade was mostly the Hudson Bay company which was created by a British "royal charter" in 1670.
The company is still around today (as a department store) and is I believe the oldest corporation in North America.

So, furs were the reason Europeans came to Canada but what was the fur used for?

Well, I believe it was mostly used for felt hats!
Yep, in Europe, in the 17th century, all sorts of shapely hats were the fashion sensation and they were so valuable that they were willing to mount years long expeditions across oceans to get more furs... Since the Russians had been exploiting the Siberian fur animals for a couple of centuries by then (I guess they were all "tapped" out).
Anyway, the fur trade in Canada started about 400 years ago.... And it is in fact still going!

Not for hats any more, but there are plenty of shops in northern Canada and Alaska that actively sell furs...
You can get pretty much any animal skin you want. Mostly they are between $100 and $200 with the most expensive I saw being Wolf skin at about $750 each!
Yep... I admit I was a but surprised by this...
I figured that since wearing furs is pretty much "taboo" now in the Western world (due to peoples environmental sensibilities) that it was probably even illegal to sell furs (like ivory selling is illegal).
But, no, It seems that the fur trade up here in the North is alive and well... and is apparently mostly for the local winter clothing market.

...And it got me thinking again about if I think it is a desirable or undesirable practice?

And what does my thinking say.
Well, my initial response was that I didnt really like it (those urban western sensibilities). But I quickly decided that, much as for the "meat argument", if the animal isnt endangered, and the fur (and the meat!) is put to "good" use, then I guess Im OK with it.
So, that seemed to work well for me for caribou and seal and elk and deer, and moose.
But, what about wolf, and wolverine, and lynx, and mink... The predator species... and even Beaver for that matter!

... and I have to say that Im not so happy about it...
In these cases, they are being hunted more or less solely for their skins. I have not heard of anyone eating the meat of these animals...At best they may feed the bodies of these animals to their dogs but Im dubious as to that meating my "good use" criteria.
And for most of these species, they are not hunted, they are trapped with either cages or leg hold traps or snares... and thats VERY different to hunting from my perspective...Not a good way to die at all!...Snares and leg hold traps in particular are in my opinion quite cruel and unnecessary.
Bearing in mind that there is absolutely no critical need for these furs since there are plenty of cheap, effective, quality synthetic garments to do much the same jobs... Its just cos people "want" them.
So, No, I dont see that hunting of these animals by anyone except First Nations (for cultural purposes) is a good thing!
The predator species have a hard enough time as it is with dwindling habitat and prey species populations in my opinion. I guess I really dislike trapping and snaring but am a bit more tolerant of actual hunting.

The Northern locals however, disagree with me quite strongly.
Up round Watson Lake here for example, they had a really big problem with wolves last year... Apparently, three or four town dogs were disappearing every night because the wolves were working in teams to "get them".
Apparently they (presumably the Canadian Fisheries and Wildlife people) had to"take out" about 40 wolves from the area to get it under control. And the Alaskan wildlife service has the same issue: They have been shooting wolves from aircraft to "manage" their population... They then collect the skins for sale to fund the management activity.
So, clearly I dont know enough about the dynamics of things up here, but I tell ya, there was one shop I went into that seemed to specialize in Lynx pelts (over a dozen of them for sale) and I asked, and they said they trapped them...
Ive yet to here of how these animals are a problem to people or to native prey populations in any way...

I think its completely unnecessary and sad to be trapping and snaring these animals just because we want to...
Ill give a little though, and say that Im OK if they are hunted rather than trapped and snared, as long as the species is not endangered.
... but I dont really get to do anything about it at all...(and thats probably a good thing since I certainly dont know enough about it all)
... I just get to state my opinion on this blog and thats about it.


So thats another blah. Hope its not boring you.
Its a rainy day up here and Im sitting the day out in a tiny little town killing time - rather than the wildlife :))