Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Damn Bats!

Ive moved South to "the other" "fancy modern city" in the middle of Colombia... Cali.
Im at a surprisingly quiet but popular hostel that is walking distance from the main bar district. There is a festival on here for the next week or so and it was not that easy to find accommodation.

It took me all day to ride to Cali from Medelline. It is beautiful country to ride through and the highways are a mixture of large and small, but the roads are always pretty good. When I got to Medelline, it was late (about 5pm - sunset 6ish) and just starting to rain. The city is not too complicated though and I found my own way to a hostel of choice... but it was full... as was the next one... but the third one had a space for a single night... pheeeew :)











So, I moved my bike inside and got some stuff off it to take into the dorm. That done, I settled in and checked email and had a beer on the balcony.

The balcony has a couple of humming bird feeders and Id noticed they were being used by the little birds when I arrived.
But it was dark now ... but the feeders were still being used??
... Yep, there are definitely flitting critters... quite a few of them...
A closer inspection revealed that the humming birds had gone to bed but that the feeders were now being used by bats!













Thats a new one on me!
Ive seen bats scooping water off ponds and lakes before, but in this case the little fellows were behaving just like humming birds... Hovering at the feeder and taking a drink for a second or two before flying off again... Very cool :)))