Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Marching Powder

 or White Coffee, Snow, or any number of other names...
Its Cocaine, and its about the first thing that comes to mind when anyone from my world starts making associations about Colombia.

Im told though that most of the good stuff these days comes from Bolivia.
But there is still plenty of it about down here for sure! Truth be told though, I think that cocaine has been the most common drug offered to me as I walk down the streets of Central and South American towns from about Costa Rica on South.
But, I gotta say that it is incredibly cheap here in Colombia!... You can get a gram of it off the street here for less than $5US!
Now Im sure thats pretty low grade (heavily "cut" or diluted) but still, its a couple of orders of magnitude cheaper than it is back in the Western cities Im from. (much like the cost of marijuana in northern Mexico from earlier in the trip).

The cocaine "industry" is certainly part of the history of Colombia and its still here to a large extent too. Ive personally met travellers here that have been on a "side tour" of a cocaine farm and processing centre (where they turn the green coca leaves into the white powder) while they were trekking to some ruins in the jungle...
Im sure its not the wisest thing to do, but I believe its done quite often so it cant be that dangerous ??... but for myself, I have no need to go "see how its done".

So, its here and available and plenty of people use it... And though Im sure it would increase the "quantity" of my dancing, Im afraid I just dont think its gonna improve the "quality" !...

And Im just not sure thats the gift that I want to give the world at the moment :)))