Tuesday, December 29, 2009

They Just Dance

Im in Cali... Self declared Salsa capital of Colombia... and therefore, likely the world too :)))

And they are not kidding either!
People here dont go out to a bar or a club to drink... They go to dance.
Actually, dancing is just about the ONLY thing to do in Cali :))
And the dancing is virtually never the old "stand around and shimmy" thing that most people do where I come from...
They dance Salsa, or Regeton, or Merenge etc (these are all very different styles!)... There are definite forms and everybody does them. And its neither restrictive and formal, nor elaborate and extravagant.... Its just people dancing in there own styles on a club dance floor.

Now, as Ive stated before, Im a hopeless dancer... and its all pretty intimidating for me... but its also inspiring :)
Trouble is though, that I tend to learn this type of physical skill in a bit of a strange way... At the start, I just dont make progress. I need to start REALLY slowly and repeat it many many times... And it seems like Im not learning anything, and I keep making the same stupid mistakes etc... But then after a while , it seems to get through to my "little lizard brain" (as opposed to the big "thinking brain") and I start to get it... Then the trick is to stop my thinking brain interfering with the lizard brain.... Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I make progress in stages rather than a smooth progression... But, It takes Time!
And, with dancing it REALLY helps if I have a consistent partner... and in all my experiences when Ive tried these things, The other person gets impatient and critical ... (And Ive tried a few times over the years... and always they "Are Not Patient!!") and then its "No fun for anyone!".... So I have learned not to impose myself on others... which is a damn shame... cos it would be fun.

... But Im not here to learn to Salsa... Im on a road trip.
So for the present Ill wait and ride on.
But if I make it to Buenos Aries then I plan to commit some time to taking some Tango lessons (say a week or so) and we will see how it goes... And if that goes well, then maybe on the ride back North, Ill stop in and take some more lessons here in Cali :)

But for now Ill just have a few more drinks and keep shimmying :)))